Name:

I am a romance writer trying to get noticed in the market. I write inspirational and sweet historic romance. I love Regency England and most of my stories are set during that time period, 1800 to 1820.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Reading

Another Harry Potter night and the last book published.

We did the whole Potter Party at the bookstore thing. Stood in line for hours until we finally got our book (at the grocery store).

At 1 am, I was tired of the crowds at the bookstore and physically beat, my youngest was cranky, the older boy was had lost his friends. It was time to go. Someone had come into the bookstore and told us the grocery store had plenty of HP books with no waiting. We all agreed, let's go. Ten minutes later we've bought the book and checking it out in the car. My older boy starting reading it aloud to us on the way home.

It was kind of sad, too. The last book. As my older boy said, I don't want it to end.

Yes, but all things must end, so enjoy them while you can. The HP hype has been interesting. I truly hope that more children and young adults are reading because of the Harry Potter phenomenon.

There was a mix of people at the bookstore. Of course, you had the school age kids with mom and dad. But there were a fair amount of high school age teenagers and young 20 somethings. I would bet half of the people in the store ranged in age between 12 and 30.

These are the readers that the NY publishers hope to catch. If the HP books are the start, then so be it. I think there has been an explosion of young adult titles in the past ten years. We've seen everything from the Pullman novels, to Charlie Bones to Eragon and Eldest, to the re-issueing of the Narnia books. My older son is reading the Alice in Wonderland books.

Anything that gets kids reading can't be bad.

I wonder how late the boys stayed up reading last night...? I went to bed. I only bought two copies. I can wait to read the book when the boys are done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home