Name:

I am a romance writer trying to get noticed in the market. I write inspirational and sweet historic romance. I love Regency England and most of my stories are set during that time period, 1800 to 1820.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Getting old

It's hell to get old, really. Okay, maybe I'm not eighty and barely able to walk, but I am in my forty's and losing my eyesight. I have worn glasses since seventh grade. Luckily, my eyes were never that bad, I didn't need coke bottle bottoms perched on my nose to see the blackboard. When I turned sixteen, I was able to pass the eye exam part of the driver's test without my glasses. But in the thirty years since, my eyes have slowly deteriorated. I find myself getting a stronger prescription everytime I go to the eye doctors. It's normal, he reassures me, just the aging process of the eyes. But, now I've hit big time, READING GLASSES!!!

I find it funny that when my distance vision is corrected, I need reading glasses to see close up. Oh it's not that bad yet. I can read most things, menus in restuarants don't thwart me yet. Newspaper and magazines can be read, but when I need to read a medicine bottle or the fine print in a magazine, I reach for my reading glasses.

If do not have in contacts for distance, I can read just fine. But I find myself squinting at other things. For example, if I try to do anything on the computer without contacts, my nose must be six inches or less from the screen to see it.

I am up this morning, coffe in one hand and dana in the other. If I sit at a confortable position to type, I can't read the screen. Mistakes abound!

If I hunch over to read what I am writing, by back hurts and my fingers hit my nose.

Oh, but the fredom of going without contacts. I feel I am naked in the wind.

Is laser surgery in my future?

2 Comments:

Blogger Rene said...

I don't like to read with my contacts on. It strains my eyes, so if I'm going to read at night, I take them out don't wear anything. I was worried about wearing my contacts and eyestrain with the computer. My eye doctor recommended I pick up a pair of reading glasses from the drug store if I find it a problem. It might be something to check into.

1:12 AM  
Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

I've had glasses since the first grade. I had contacts for awhile, but then I got allergic to them, so it was back to the glasses. I'm terrified to get laser surgery - I mean, what if you are the one in a million that they screw up? Your eyesight is too precious to lose.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home