Name:

I am a romance writer trying to get noticed in the market. I write inspirational and sweet historic romance. I love Regency England and most of my stories are set during that time period, 1800 to 1820.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Historical Context

When discussing an historical event, I mentioned that I found it difficult to believe that a historical figure (in 1600s England) was literate, given that his parents were illiterate and there was no public school in the town in which he was raised. A person took offense. His own parents were illiterate and he assumed I meant that just because a person has illiterate parents, he could not learn to read or write.

I certainly do not mean to insult anyone's parents. My own grandparents could not read or write. My father had to read for his parents.
But this person needs to keep the historical context of the country in mind. In 1600 England, there was a very distinct class system in place. If one's parents were illiterate peasants, there was a very high chance that he would be too. Education was not mandatory and was actually discouraged in many cases. School was not for the masses, but for the rich. Children worked instead of going to school.
My case for the illiterate historical figure is also bolstered by the lack of actual handwritten letters by this person. For someone who is purported to be a literary genius, why is there no hand written papers available? Four hundred years have passed, but many other papers have lasted that length of time. Many papers have been found of many people written four hundred or more years ago. But none of this famous person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home