Name:

I am a romance writer trying to get noticed in the market. I write inspirational and sweet historic romance. I love Regency England and most of my stories are set during that time period, 1800 to 1820.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Chill Out!

Was I on meds when I wrote that last post? Geez, could you feel the anger? I need to chill out.

In all fairness, I was tired and sleep-deprived and the boys wouldn't be quiet and go to sleep.

Coffee...... trees..... birds......

Think mellow thoughts.

I have some great ideas for the next few chapters of my book. My heroine Selina, is reading her mother's diary. For weeks, I have been trying to decide what I wanted her to read. I know that Selina will find out that her mother, Annabelle, really did love her father, George. But I needed more to that story.

So, Selina will also learn that her mother did not leave willingly. She was threaten by her husband's father. Her in-laws, the earl and countess at that time, didn't want their "impeccable lineage" destroyed by a common actress. They tried giving her money, they tried making her life miserable. When those schemes didn't work, they threatened her. Annabelle still wouldn't leave. Then they threatened the baby. The child was a girl and expendable. So Annabelle left Selina to save her life.

Her husband knew nothing of this. Annabelle couldn't tell him. He wouldn't believe his parents capable of threats and his parents would deny it, making Annabelle look like a fool. His parents thought that if Annabelle left with a man and went back to London to acting, George would divorce Annabelle and find a new bride.

Selina knows that her father never sought a divorce and never remarried. And she also finds out later in the book that her father loved her mother and felt horribly betrayed when she left. The betrayal ran so deep that he could not marry again, not even to secure an heir.

What do you think? I've already started the story of Selina's parents as a subplot in the book. I will add their reunion as a second "love story".

4 Comments:

Blogger Rene said...

So Annabelle has been in London all this time? Hmm...I guess you could pull it off, but if she loved him, why didn't she try and explain things? If he really loved her, why wouldn't he given any credence to her claims? Part of true love is having faith in the other person. I have an idea, but it must foment. I'll tell you later when I have figured it out.

12:36 PM  
Blogger ~~Olivia said...

Annabelle went to Paris until the war broke out. She then came back to London. She is no longer an actress because of a disfiguring accident. She is now a seamstress for the acting company in London.

I don't know if they really loved each other at first. George was in love with her beauty; he was dazzled. He was only twenty-some years old at the time. Annabelle saw George as a way to escape the stage and be respectible. And he was the heir to a earldom. She was only eighteen at the time and getting a lot of pressure to "entertain" the customers.

I think her diary writings are going to more silly school-girl romance than the real thing.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Rene said...

Oh, you have a lot to work with, Olivia. I can tell you already have an inkling of what you want to do. Dang, they could almost be book on their own.

11:10 AM  
Blogger ~~Olivia said...

The parents story is a great parallel to Selina and Raven's story, until we find out the real truth.

It's interesting to write the diary. I'm writing in first person, and trying to think like an eighteen year old.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home