Name:

I am a romance writer trying to get noticed in the market. I write inspirational and sweet historic romance. I love Regency England and most of my stories are set during that time period, 1800 to 1820.

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Star Struck







I am not a movie person and do not read People or the National Enquirer. But when surrounded by big name writers, I become a blithering mass of mush, unable to act in an intelligent manner.

When standing in line for the book signings today, I struck up a conversation with a nicely dress attendee. I commented on her clothes to her only because I decided to dress down a bit today. My feet hurt from the walk around Fisherman's Wharf last night and I wanted to wear my athletic shoes. My feet should be in better shape for my red heels for tonight's award ceremony.

I looked at the name tag of this nicely dress woman and about drooled down the front of my sweater. It was Hank Phillippi Ryan, a RITA nominee. I babbled incoherently and then apologized profusely. I'm sure she thought I was a total idiot. Sorry Miss Ryan, I really can string together a sentence.

Once in the room, my mush brain didn't get any better. I babbled at other authors, collected autographed books and ran out.

As stupid as it seems, I went to another room with more authors signing books. I was a glutton for punishment. This time, I settled down and wasn't quite as bad. I had wonderful chats with Connie Brockway, Anne Stuart, Kristin Hannah, Vicki Lewis Thompson, Deb Stover and Geralyn Dawson.

I took some pictures and got my picture taken with Lisa Kleypas and Christina Dodd.... until I met Jo Beverly.

Back to mush brain.

I had to leave before I really embarrassed myself. The problem was all mine. Every author was gracious and polite as possible. I was the one who was the idiot.

I grabbed a box from the shipping department and took it up to my room. I packed up all my books that I collected so far, used the promotional bookmarks as packing material and took it back to the shipping department set up in the hotel.

All those lovely books are being shipped home. I filled a medium box and the cost was $25. Much cheaper than the airlines. It will take a week, but I shipped it to my work. If it comes when I'm not there, the receiving department at work will take it up to my desk.

Thank you to all the authors for signing and the publishers for providing the books.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hank Phillippi Ryan said...

Hi!It was such fun to chat with you today..and you were a great standing-in-line buddy!Those kinds of chance meetings are one of the best parts of these conventions.
Hope the red shoes were terrific!

2:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home