Name:

I am a romance writer trying to get noticed in the market. I write inspirational and sweet historic romance. I love Regency England and most of my stories are set during that time period, 1800 to 1820.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Call me Madame President

or.... (more appropriately titled)

What in the heck have I done?

My RWA chapter met today and guees who is the new president? yeah, me.

It can't be very pretigious because no one else wanted it.

Oh,wait, that's not fair. Our chapter may be small, but I bet we good percentage of published authors. A quick tabulation has me guessing about fifteen percent of the members are published. Not bad, not bad.

One reason I took the job was because it's not a lot of work. I don't have lots of time to organize speakers, or whatever. Our meetings are pretty informal gab sessions where we discuss the problems we are having with our plot, writing, agents, etc. It's actually very informative for a newbie like me.

I am going to take some advice of the outgoing president. She suggested that I create a vision of where the chapter is going: grow more members, have more outside speakers, have a contest, whatever. I've been thinking and more and more I want to take improve the website. The member doing the website is uber-busy and wouldn't mind giving it up. (I inquired about it.)

I know next to nothing about websites. I wonder if I could convince my twelve-year old son to do it for me. I bet he would take the challenge and run with it. Teenagers, they know everything. And MY son knows even more than that!

Im hoping that being president might help me with my career. It might look nice on a query letter to write"President of local chapter of RWA". And, if I go to nationals, there's a special meeting or somehting for presidents.

So, it will be an interesting year. Wish me luck!

4 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

Hey, Olivia, we're both new presidents!!! Congrats!

I'm looking forward to being president of my chapter - we really have a great group of gals.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Rene said...

Snort, snort, snicker, snicker....

1:54 PM  
Blogger ~~Olivia said...

Shut up, Rene...

10:06 PM  
Blogger ~~Olivia said...

Thanks for the good wishes, Mel. And good luck on your year, too!

All in all, I am looking forward to the next year. I've never been a "president" before. I've done the committee thing and other side jobs. This will be a new experience for me.

Our chapter has about two dozen members. Yup, not two hundred, two dozen. I don't feel overwhelmed and overlooked. Everyone has a voice.

My first big project is our Valentine's Day Tea. The Saturday before Valentine's Day, we host a "romance day" at the library. We talk about romance as fiction and give away books and goodie bags to the public. We've started the ball rolling. I'll keep you posted.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home